Background

Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Deer Came for a Picnic Today–April 2, 2008

I shooed away these visitors last night before I went to bed and again this morning before I went to work. When I came home for lunch these two siblings were sunning themselves on the lawn, no doubt their bellies full of the most tender spring green morsels my garden had to offer. They stood up to pose for a picture and to listen to a car drive by on the other side of the hedge. Gee, it didn’t seem to bother them at all when I pulled up in the driveway…in full view…just a few feet away.
 
I think they’re wise to me. I don’t spray them with the hose or chase after them shouting and waving my arms; I simply step outside and tell them sternly to go find something to eat in the woods. They listen very closely, politely, even…
 
garden-apr08-deer-picnic

When they’re satisfied I’m done having my say, they twitch their ears, flip their tails and head toward Mom, who’s usually browsing in another part of the yard. The photo below is one of the youngsters again, still in the garden. I guess I can’t blame them for not knowing where the woods end and the garden begins, as if it would matter to them.
 
garden-apr08-deer-in-ferns

They ate all my Trillium today. I don’t have nearly the mass of blooms I’ve had in prior years. Just when I think I’ve found a flower they don’t care for, they take a liking to it. Honestly, it doesn’t bother me as much as it used to. Sometimes it’s a little like living in a Disney movie with all the critters around…sigh…I persevere… Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment