Background

Sunday, April 15, 2012

It Was a Garden Kind of Weekend–May 17, 2009

azaleamaplewebmay09-copy
As has been the case for the last couple of years, the weekends are often followed by a garden post. Why break with tradition? When the weather is so gloriously beautiful, and we aren’t off enjoying the great outdoors elsewhere, I’ll be in the garden.

I spent a good part of Saturday shopping for flowers. Oh my! I haven’t indulged myself so deliciously in ages, as my mature, closely planted garden has little room for newcomers. I always plant several pots of annuals, which allows variety from year to year but, for the most part, the perennial beds remain unchanged. This year, however, I decided to completely redo one of the beds, hoping to plant something the deer find distasteful. Frankly, at the moment I’m exhausted but, before I plant myself on the couch for the evening, I thought I’d share a few photos I took this weekend.
 
I don’t know how many times I’ve photographed this azalea and maple tree, but they truly are some of my garden favorites. And to think, the maple tree will blaze on like this until it drops its leaves with autumn’s chill. Aren’t those colors beautiful? This is a view from my Adirondack chair where I like to sit (and sometimes nap) in the afternoons.
 
Before I headed out on my shopping spree I wandered through the garden, enjoying the spring blooms. Morning is a favorite time of day…everything fresh with dew…so quiet in the neighborhood, the birdsong more sweet and clear than at any other time of day… sigh.  So beautiful.
 
Johnny Jump Ups:
 
johnnyjumpupsmay09-copy

Deciduous azalea:

azaleayellow2may09-copy

And these are a few of the annuals that came home with me, starting with Osteospermum (pardon the fly):

osteospermummay09

Gazania:
gazaniamay09

And, finally, these petunias. They’re mixed with red verbena and the color combination is so pretty:

petuniapotwebmay09

There are a lot more, but that’s probably enough flower photos for one day. I hope you had a wonderful weekend, too. Thanks for visiting my garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment