Background

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thought I’d Throw this in for Fun–Feb. 24, 2010

MeFlower
In 1974 we were living a quiet rural life with two cats and two dogs in a little cottage on 40 acres. There were lizards in the shower, and frogs hopped in under the front door on rainy nights. We had a fireplace that barely touched the cold so we kept one room closed off at all times. That room was like a cavern and I was barely acquainted with it. Our water system froze in the winter, dried out in the summer, and clogged up with decaying leaves in the fall. We had no TV, no phone, and only one car -- yes, it was a Volkswagon bus. It was utterly idyllic. When we received the happy news of my pregnancy in 1974, we moved back to civilization. In this photo I was four months along.  The pretty kitty is Flower.
 
Despite appearances and the sound of things, I wasn’t a hippie chick.  It was just the times.  Though this 21 year old girl bears little physical resemblance to the me of today, I really haven't changed much inside.
 
Take it easy. Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy (more 70s flashbacks).
 

1 comment:

  1. Leslie, I'm so glad you carried this post forward. The way this post is situated right now I can see your photo at age 21 and see your new profile with Wally/Lulu.

    Isn't it amazing where we were at age 21. In 1974 I was 24 and had a three year old and a one year old. We were living in the highlands of north of Scotland. Our simple cottage wasn't much different than your simple cottage. No central air or heat. A fireplace in every room that had to be banked at night to keep the embers warm so it could be easily started in the morning.

    We didn't have a TV or a phone either. We were certainly not derived nor did we miss them. We listened to Armed Forces Radio and the BBC *laughing* We are still radio listeners as are our children.

    Thank you for sharing this small part of your early life.

    Hugs,
    Susie ~

    ReplyDelete