Background

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Goodwill Gardening

Until LuLu learns not to romp through the flower beds I’ll be using containers for my more delicate plantings.  Most of my pots are already full, but I’ll need more – much more if I’m to have all the color I hope for in the garden.  I can spend a lot of money on decorative pots or I can go to Goodwill and see what they have I might improvise with.  I popped in there today and found these in about two minutes and for a fraction of what I might ordinarily spend.  I like the shape of the blue pot.  It has a small mouth, but plenty of room for roots to spread, and there’s a drainage hole in the bottom.  The basket is lined with cloth, and I could fill it with dirt as is, or insert a plain plastic pot as shown.  Once they have flowers spilling over their rims I think they’ll look quite nice.

IMG_0465

These are wallflowers in one of my large pots on the deck.

IMG_0332

These are the tiny blue flowers of a Jack Frost Brunnera macrophylla with pretty white allium bells.

IMG_0327

I hope to get my new pots planted over the weekend.  Later I’ll share what they look like when the plants are mature.  Have a beautiful day!

14 comments:

  1. Never grown wallflowers-very pretty-need to check them out to see how they would do in Missouri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for cheaper pots at Goodwill! They'll look fantastic dripping with flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds at Goodwill! Your garden will be so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous finds. Love your garden shots. I want to have all kinds of flowering bushes and plants around my yard. I'm just starting to build mine up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great find at goodwill and your flowers are just beautiful, all that rain you had seems to be agreeing with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those pots Leslie. What a great find. I love flowers in my garden and surrounding pots, one can never have too many. I'm curious as to what the orange/yellow flowers are in the collection you bought?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Francie (Montreal)May 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

    Beautiful photographs. Each one would make a great stamp.

    Being a city kid, I find gardens so exotic, so heady. I can get quite giddy looking at your photos and trying to absorb the concept that the blooms are real. You get to see them every day. What a thrill. The closest I get is visiting the Montreal Botanical Gardens. I can spend hours there in a state of sublime happiness. Don't get the idea I'm complaining. I'm not. Any house plant that had the misfortune of living with me had a short and miserable life. That's why I'm happy to see your lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is going to look amazing, judging by what's already happenin' over there! What great finds......your two guys are gonna love posing in front of those...haaaa!
    Thanks so much for the lovely comment you left for me....made me smile! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you just love spring Leslie ?!? Our gardens are overflowing with color and beauty. Many of our plants courtesy of my forever gardening girlfriend......Leslie :-) I think of you with everyday my treasured friend!

    Happy Gardening.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Beautiful Miss Leslie! I know what you mean about containers for planting can cost a pretty penny! I use all sorts of things I find and reuse a lot of containers too! I have found some Fancy ones at Ross and Home goods too for a much smaller price, but I will definitely check out Good will, don't know why I didn't think of that, lol 8-) your flowers are just Gorgeous! 8-)

    Hugs
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great containers and great job scooping them up! Since you saved all that money, you can by more, after all, it's Mother Day on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your flowers are beautiful & so are the pots. LOVE the blue one!! Thanks for sharing the shots with those of us who have "brown" thumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First I'd like to thank you for stopping by my place and visiting! I so enjoy reading your comments and encouragement too! LOVE your new site!! It's just so beautiful, I've got to take some time to snoop some more... and I did see a card there too.... but LOTS of Wally and LuLu, LOVE that!!! Got to add your new site to my watch list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to seeing the new pots in use. Love the photos of your garden. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete